Over the last months I have been diving deeper into the purpose economy. During the Summer I had an amazingly inspiring time taking part in the very first ‘B Leaders’ program for Germany. The course gave a detailed overview of B Corporations (B Corps), their role in shaping the purpose economy and the in-depth assessment process companies wanting to become a certified B Corp need to follow, namely the B Impact Assessment. My goal over the next weeks is to help introduce B Corps to consumers like you and I and share what I have learned – below are a few activities that you can join in with.
First things first, what are B Corps?
B Corps are a new breed of company that shape their business model to increasing the positive impact, whilst also minimising the negative impact they have on ALL their stakeholders, i.e. the people and places influenced by their activities. This offers a fairer and healthier alternative to mainstream capitalist companies that currently place shareholders and profits benefiting the few at the center of what they do.
In short, B Corps are businesses for good.
Not only do they provide us consumers with great products and services, but they often tackle serious global challenges in the process. Here are just three examples:
- Moyee Coffee – Bringing us the perfect morning coffee, whilst also ensuring it is roasted in the countries where the beans grow. By doing so their farmers earn 300% more than when the raw material is simply picked and shipped straight out to the developed countries, who then do the value-adding production steps such a roasting. This empowers some of the poorest countries to build a stronger, independent future.
- Abury – Beautiful artisan crafted accessories, whereby local designers in Morocco are not just paid a fair wage, but each hour of production invested in each product is also rewarded with the same hours of education for the respective artisan community.
- Tony’s Chocolonely – Delicious chocolate along with a big vision: 100% slave free chocolate. Not just their chocolate, but all chocolate worldwide!
With everything I learn, with each new B Corp I meet and the more I get involved with the B Movement the more impressed and proud I am to be part of it.
There is one challenge though…
If you are a company interested in becoming a B Corp there is an increasing number of webinars and support networks out there. However, there is more of one thing needed at this early stage – public awareness! So many more people, and specifically normal consumers who are often not so connected to the social enterprise scene, need to hear about these amazing companies and their humbling visions.
I absolutely believe that the rise of companies with a B Corp, purpose economy mentality are a crucial element of building a more sustainable, considerate future in order for our shared planet to survive and thrive! In my opinion, they are also certainly a part of the solution to the question ‘How will we emerge better?’ a topic The Do School, another favourite community of mine, is tackling with regards to building economies back better in the wake of the pandemic. (Read more about their #WeEmerge campaign here)
So during October, I am planning a few activities to raise awareness about B Corps amongst my friends, family and communities.
In true Better Me Green style, I am keeping things based on small but manageable actions & events. I would love to welcome you to any of the following:
Online B Corp introduction for conscious consumers
Relaxed 30min webinar sessions, where I will cover questions such as: What are B Corps? Where can I find them? How authentic are they? We will then have time to exchange thoughts and answer questions.
- Register for Session 1: Friday 16th Oct – 12:00-12:30 CEST (11am UK & Ireland)
- Register for Session 2: Friday 23rd Oct – 12:00-12:30 CEST (11am UK & Ireland)
Group hike and B Corp discussion together with my new sustainability group in North Rhein Westfalia. (Link)
And finally something for anyone, anytime: #BelieveInB on Social Media
If you like the sound of B Corps and want to help spread the word, you can have a great impact yourself in supporting the movement by simply telling people about it by using the hashtags #BelieveInB #BCorps #WeEmerge and share the link – https://bcorporation.net/
Thanks for your involvement!
Your Better Me Greener